Tuesday, October 3, 2023

Sometimes We Should Ask God to Send Someone Else

 IS IT EVER APPROPRIATE TO ASK GOD TO SEND SOMEONE ELSE?


"But he said, 'Oh, my Lord, please send someone else.' ”

Exodus 4:13 ESV


If you are familiar with the call of Moses to lead the Israelites out of Egypt you will remember that Moses raised all kinds of objections as to why he was the wrong person to lead them. After God had answered all his objections Moses showed his hand -- he simply didnt want to go.


So the question is; Is it ever appropriate to ask God to send someone else? I believe there are times we should ask God to send someone else and I'm going to give some examples that Moses DID NOT use.


1. Will this mission put me in a compromising situation where I might be tempted?


James 1:13 says;


"Let no one say when he is tempted, 'I am being tempted by God,” for God cannot be tempted with evil, and he himself tempts no one.' "


If you are a married church elder and there is an unsaved attractive single woman at your workplace it would be risky to meet her for coffee to share the gospel. You might be able to share discreetly at the workplace but it would be wise to ask God to put someone else in her path who won't be tempted. (Thankfully I have a wife who I can suggest.)


2. Is this going to distract from what God has already called you to do.


I'm reminded of the story about the prophet who was told to prophesy against Jeroboam in 1 Kings 13. God had told him precisely what he was to do and another prophet came and told him that God had told him to tell the prophet to deviate from his original plan.


This was disobedient. If God has given you clear direction through his voice he will not speak through a different voice to change your direction. 


Sometimes a seemingly new call may be a GOOD thing but not a GOD thing. In that case you should stay where you are on the original mission but it is perfectly appropriate to ask God to send someone else who can fulfill that mission


3. When you truly cannot be effective. 


In a situation where someone is blatantly hostile toward you for whatever reason they are not going to receive anything you say to them. There's no point in stirring up more hostility but asking God to send someone else where there is no hostility that they would listen to is totally fine.


Sometimes it may simply be that you've already done everything you can. In that case maybe it's time for someone else to pick up where you left off. 


"I planted, Apollos watered, but God gave the growth."

1 Corinthians 3:6 ESV


Even Paul didnt do everything. Apollos picked up where Paul left off.


4. Sometimes our own motives for wanting to go aren't the best.


This one is difficult because our hearts are deceitful (Jeremiah 17:9). Often we can convince ourselves that our motives are pure when they really aren't. Years ago there was an opportunity to go to Africa on a mission trip. I was excited about going but then I was convicted that while I did care about reaching the people with the gospel my real motives were about my hunger for adventure. I wanted to see Africa. When I was honest with myself I realized that my reasons were more about myself than caring for others. Therefore I passed on the opportunity and someone else was able to go.


So these are a few reasons where it may be completely appropriate to ask God to send someone else. Remember we have an enemy who is very good at imitating God's voice. He is very subtle in distracting us even by things that may be good, but just not for us at a particular time. You will notice that Moses didnt use any of these objections because they didnt apply. But if these objections do apply, then stay put and ask God to send someone else.

No comments:

Post a Comment